What is TPMS?
More safety, more comfort and less fuel consumption.
TPMS stands for Tyre Pressure Monitoring System. It is a highly effective safety system that alerts the driver by displaying a warning sign on the dash of the vehicle when the tyre pressure falls 20% below the normal value.
- Increases safety
- Lowers fuel consumption
- Reduces tyre wear
- Improves braking and stopping distance
- Improves handling and reliability
Pressure from the EU
Since November 2014, all new M1-class vehicles (cars and motor homes) must be equipped with a TPMS due to legal requirements, creating new business opportunities for dealers, garages and tyre service businesses.
Provided they meet the specification, automakers are free to decide what kind of system they wish to use in their vehicles. They have a choice between two very different technologies, indirect and direct systems.
Indirect vs Direct TPMS
These systems evaluate signals from a vehicle’s anti-lock brake system (ABS) to compare the speed of the wheels. If the system detects a difference in wheel speeds and this is not attributable to the driving situation, a warning lamp on the instrument cluster will illuminate.
In a direct system each wheel/tyre is equipped with a sensor that directly measures the tyre pressure and depending on the vehicle, measure temperature. This information is transmitted wirelessly to a control unit which analyses the data and displays a warning on the instrument cluster if low pressure is detected.
- Direct systems are faster and provide more precise
- Direct systems have the potential to display the pressure and temperature of each tyre individually, even when the vehicle is stationary
- Direct systems do not have to be recalibrated if the tyre pressure changes due to an increase in load or a tyre change (however direct systems do require a sensor/vehicle relearn when moving or replacing sensors – this may be automatic depending on the vehicle)
- Multi-brand sensor - equip a large number of vehicles with just a few sensor variants
- Pre-programmed 'REDI' to install straight from the box
- Protected against mechanical damage
- Glued to the inner surface of the tyre
- Easy and efficient to install - No service kits required
- Valve-based sensors
- Installed and removed via a service kit
Tel: 0121 326 1200